My Chemotherapy Experience - Final Chapter : The Hospital

THE HOSPITAL



 October, 2016 was the month I was first admitted to the hospital. Since then, I am warded once a month for almost a year now. Many I have seen and experienced, something I never imagined before. I never thought this tragedy will occurred to me.

 It was never pleasant to stay in the hospital, I saw numerous severe cases, and some deaths. Sometimes it was so hard to watch some patients in critical conditions, I wonder how doctors can handled it, are they robots?

 Reaching to the end of October 2016, I was admitted to the haematology ward, specialized in blood related diseases. There I met the haematology team, and patients admitted and discharged daily.

THE FACILITY

 It is an old building, nothing fancy but everything operates well. With six patients but only one bathroom, it is kind of uneasy and uncomfortable whilst others are waiting impatiently. The beds are new equipped with remote control and guardrail. The ward furnished with air conditioner as chemo drugs will increases patients' temperature.


THE TEAM




 Haematology team is lead by Dr. Chew who dictates everything in the ward. She is bold and outspoken, but she really cares about her patients. Her patients cannot be vetted without authorization. All medications will be checked at least twice before they handed it to the patients. The nurses are very experienced, keen, and accurate. They work hard day and night - dealing with paperwork and fussy patients. But, they still smile and never grumble.

 I watched and observed every kind of people from several backgrounds, the wealthy and the unfortunate. I started to realize people really are different and unique in their own ways, but sometimes annoyed the hell of me.However, it is a special experience for me, not everyone will know how it feels like.

Comments

Popular Posts